My music story : #4 Beginnings : Grandpa’s Radio!

 My Grandfather, after his morning chores and breakfast used to turn on his radio to listen to talk shows, sermons and sometimes music on the radio! I often saw grandpa hitting the radio on the side after fine tuning the device and miraculously it worked! I think most people in my family tap their devices to make them work even now, but it does not work! But the Radio worked like magic. 

Grandpa would sit on his easy chair, feet up, listening to radio and he would take a nap while the radio played on some film songs or Carnatic music that blared out of it. I often wondered how he could sleep through all the noise. Sometimes it is the drumming of Chenda we hear from that box! Later they bought a black and white TV and grandpa still preferred the radio as Tv stations worked only at particular time in the evenings when listeners were back from work! 

Sometimes, I assisted him to operate the Radio, the volume knobs the tuning of stations! Clockwise the volume increased and anticlockwise the sound decreased and turned the radio off with a click. I’m not sure of the make of the radio but I remember it being huge, as big as a decent sized jackfruit. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leg > Bike

Snow!

Lull