My music story : #7 Beginnings : Casio SK 1

 I’m not sure who got it down from abroad, but I’m glad somebody did, maybe it was my dad’s friend from Dubai! It was a Casio SK-1! 

I was 6 years old, this was my toy! It had a lot of buttons and a demo song that I still remember. It also had a sampler. You could record any sound and use that as a sample to create a song. I spent a lot of time with this instrument. For some reason, my parents did not ban me from using this! I was allowed to play on this as much as I wanted. 

This was where I learnt about the pitch. I tried playing the Carnatic songs that I learnt at my mom’s place. It was so easy to figure out the different scale movements. I noticed that the pitch went up to the right and went low towards the left. 

I ended up spending a lot of time sampling my own voice saying words as listened to the recording modulate and drop in pitch and tempo while I played the keys. I had this keyboard for a very long time! Even after we moved to Bangalore. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leg > Bike

Snow!

Lull