My music story : #15 : Guitar

Since I was learning, piano, violin, tabla and singing, my dad got my sister a guitar. It was a jumbo Gibtone. The guitar was so huge that the little me was barely visible  behind it. Her guitar teacher was Asongla, a student at UTC from the North East. The students from North East sang their language songs and English songs in harmony, often accompanied with a guitar. Also all the cool kids, especially Ananth Varghese, used to flaunt his red guitar picks. 

Asongla taught my sister the guitar at home, but she agreed to teach me as well. She taught me some open chords and I was quick to noticed the D chord was similar to Bryan Adams’ “Summer Of Sixty Nine” I found playing F and C quite difficult. 

I loved playing the guitar! I sat by the verandah, pressing my ears against the guitar to feel its vibrations! I got goosebumps playing it. I did not feel the piano or any other instrument vibrate my body as the guitar did! I gravitated more to it. 

I ended up practising the guitar more than my sister. I didn’t play till my fingers bled, but I had blisters on my fingers. But I kept at it! Playing choruses and strumming the guitar, every single day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leg > Bike

Snow!

Lull