IKEA- shifting the Indian mindset?

As an Indian, I find comfort in being served! You go to a restaurant or even if it is your own home, you had someone serving you. How about furniture or plumbing or even construction? We always found a laborer and made sure we got it done by someone else. I now see a shift happening in this mindset. We are moving  towards the DIY, self help kingdom! We are installing furnitures and painting our walls fixing the plumbing all by ourselves more than we were! 

I went to IKEA, Nagasandra to pick up some bookshelves and I noticed that no body was served there! You had to look through items or search online and find it. Even when you asked for help you were given directions to find it, not a “let me find it and bring it to you sir”. Missed some item at billing? You had to go back all the way and retrieve the things you want. 

How about furniture assembly? It’s completely DIY! You are again given instructions to assemble this. No installation team is going to visit you, unless you hire a crew to get it done.  


What about food and beverages served at IKEA? It’s all self service again. Wait your turn (which is quite difficult for the Indian mind) Pick the items you want, pay at the cash counter, move to the sitting area to enjoy your meal. 


I quite like this shift! This is new here! It’s different! Keeps everyone curious! On a side note, IKEA was smart enough to tape, glue and zip tie display props like shoes and clothes (kept there to add to the decorative aesthetics)  to protect them from the occasional shop lifters! 

Another thing that loved about IKEA here was, the ones that spoke better English (the educated ones) were installing, screwing and fixing, some of them pretty young women with manicured nails, the display racks. The ones around the computers and billing were not so proficient in the language but they were given the “better” tasks here. Maybe I’m wrong, but I noticed this the day I was there. 


I saw a lot of puzzled customers who were upset with no handouts and service given! This made my evil heart joyful! They simply had to figure it out! I’m curious as to how this mindset will transcend! It’s all for better things to come! Respect!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leg > Bike

Snow!

Lull