Workshop - I made a stingless bee hive


Today I went to The Workshop to learn about different kinds of tools for carpentary. 

I was introduced to different types of Saws. The Rip Saw and the Cross Cut saws were the popular ones. I was also introduced to the Japanese saw, which was weird looking. 

Different types of chisels were introduced, cutting, scooping and carving chisels; and the choice of different mallets and hammers; sledge claw and ball pen hammers. To know the methods of sharpening the chisel was fascinating using the soap stone. 

Other things I learnt about were planers; files, especially the rasp file for wood. This clearly gave me the idea of the hand working tools and how to choose them.

We also used some clamps. The C, Y and the clip types were demonstrated. 

Then I used the power tools, the shaping tools, circular saw, miter saw, jigsaw, planers, angle grinders and different routers   and figured out it’s safe practices.

After a heavy lunch at Thalesseri, I cut some wood, thanks to the coffee that kept me going until then, using the tools. I had to be super alert to have my fingers and keep them! I then made some wood choices and drew a plan to make my bee hive. Srinivas and  Britto was quite helpful and guided me throughout the process. 

What I was not comfortable was the saw dust. No matter what mask you wore, you did breathe in some. Especially during the sanding process. But finally I had my bee hive. Now to wait for the bees to come! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leg > Bike

Snow!

Lull